Friday, June 25, 2021

From Nikita Abrams Stories

 (Summer of 2013, Just Outside Erie, PA)

Nikita stands in the middle of their small backyard. 7:30 PM on one of the longest days of light in the year. Temperatures and humidity both unusually low. She barely works up a sweat mowing the whole yard. Nikki is pleased to hear the bird cacophony return quickly after shutting off the lawnmower. She breaths deeply now of that fresh cut grass smell filling her head with “SUMMER”. This place is heavenly, she thinks. But she knows what waits only a few precious months away as she drinks deeply from a glass of water on the picnic table.
Shit, she says out loud to no one. This water taste like … don't even know what this shit tastes like some chemical taste that is just … bad! She reminds herself to put bottled water on the grocery list. God only knows what's in this fucking water.
She sits on the picnic bench when her cell rings – it's MICHELLE – yay! How's my Baby?
Michelle laughs – I'm good, Nikki. I love you. I miss you.
You too, Michelle.
Look I've been in meetings with them all day here and like we discussed cannot say too much but this is it, Nikki. We got to move on this say be here by end of this month? The deal is we work our way through pretty much like we talked about. I'll be The Doc and you'll be The Sheriff, Michelle finished happily.
Okay, Nikki, said. Just like that?
Just like that.
Seldom in their relationship had Nikita been willing to follow Michelle's lead unquestioningly but she did so now – how big is our room? She asks even though they were told not to discuss any details on the phone or email.
You remember that HUGE walk in closet we had in our first place -
Augh, Nikki groaned interrupting, seriously, that's it?
That's it for our personal quarters, Nikki. There's various common areas -
Still, Nikki interrupted, thinking how for so many years she had somehow managed to stay out of prison only for this. It's daunting, she said - what do you mean “I'll” be the sheriff? By myself?
They said it's not that big a facility and you'll have plenty of backup. They only want one cop, Nikki. These people don't exactly like authority, I'm guessing? Mostly a bunch of geeks we're talking about here, Nikki. And its mostly a young crowd so easier for me, too. It's a cake walk for both of us.
It's a big step, I'm just saying, Michelle. She could still taste that indescribable chemical water. I'm walking up to it, Love. I'll get there. There are huge up sides to working alone. What if twelve months go by and the shit still hasn't hit the fan?
They still need a core group there to be ready. They won't be socking the top over us until it's necessary. It's not so bad, it's kind of cute. I figure we'll each get some me time in the room each day. There's a big gym that has a big pool, saunas. A beautiful media room. A big, comfortable library and reading room that you will love that I swear, Nikki.
Nikki smiled – I wasn't built to live either underground or in a closet, Babe. But all for a good cause so 'here we go'. She mustered some enthusiasm.
I'll be back tomorrow sent you the flight information did you get it?
Got it. I'll be there, Nikki said.
Love you, Nikki.
You more.
Phone off Nikki says out loud again to no one – eight to ten months? Thinking then, I don't know, girl, I just don't know about this. Things are getting pretty fucking weird that's for sure? It's such a perfect evening that it's hard to think about the apocalypse. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch. Nikita tending to see life as an adventure, tended to like 'off the wall' and this was pretty off the wall stuff. Besides, she loved Colorado and had never lived 8700 feet in elevation on the side of an alpine peak before. They would be able to go top side as much as they wished, Michelle had already learned. At least until they screwed the top hatch down. I Haven't cross country skied in years, she thought. She felt herself softening to their outrageous new plan. Why not? What else do we have to do?
No photo description available.
Faye Johnson, Joy Anderson and 3 others
1 Share
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment