Saturday, December 7, 2013

Short Fable, How Wasting-Energy Became the Last Sin

An extremely short fable, "How Wasting-Energy became the Last Sin" by David Sky

In days that are like a year, things begin to grow a little fuzzy in memory even though it was merely a year and a half ago in “Normie Time”. It is written down somewhere. Documented. On this particular day I slaughtered all sin -  no, not by myself, that would be INSANE, come on. I had worlds of help. For the thing I am become is never alone but always amongst an army of angels. It was a long and terrifying battle that lasted most of a day – most of a year, in days like a year, mind you. I was beyond exhaustion. We all were. I lay with the others sword down on it's quiet side in the bloody grass amidst the carnage of the sins feeling grateful to tears for such a victory.

Someone said then, “O shit man, there's one still standing – who will take it, I do not have enough strength left to raise my sword?”

“I cannot raise myself from the earth here.” I said, “cannot even raise my head off of the ground, Brothers, Sisters - can someone tell me which sin had the unmitigated audacity to evade our wrath?”

“Waste of Energy” someone answered.

Waste of energy, I thought about that for a moment. I tried to raise myself but to no avail. “Okay, then, we will give quarter to this one sin,” I said. For I am always the leader of my army. “So Wasting-Energy shall now be the last sin, the only sin left in this world. Let this one sin keep us all honest,” I declared.

“Here here” rose a tired chorus from around me.

And this is how now in reality the only sin left is Wasting-Energy. To be clear, Wasting-Energy covers a lot of ground in my cosmology. It is a waste of energy to disrespect ones elders. A waste of energy to lie. A waste of energy to commit adultery. Waste of energy to kill … sure I sinned that day all day long and without repentance as those sins fell, one after another, amidst blood and gore under the pitiless blows of our swords. Sometimes we put our mortal souls on the line for a greater good. Sometimes we have to do so.

No need to thank me, friends, it's what I do, man, it's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment