Monday, May 9, 2022

Caye Caulker After Dark (Belize May 9th 2015)

 Caulker After Dark


It's after dark I'm in a restaurant alone near the water's edge but cannot see or hear the water only can hear the ubiquitous winds rattling the coconut palm fronds out in the dark. It is a very pleasant sound. The restaurant is almost empty. It's about 8PM. I order the special fried fish with coconut rice and nurse a beer. I look down on the table where there is a tiny flower top barely larger than a grain of rice.

“That is soo beautiful!” I say out loud. So fragile and so tiny. I think to touch it then stop for I would surely destroy it with my big, clumsy fingers. The winds finally roll it gracefully away and I realize that like all flowers, it is transient as it is beautiful.

I am suddenly left thinking of my wife and it feels as if some ninja assassin who had been stalking me all along from the darker shadows just choose this moment to sink his blade into my heart.

Those Ninjas, man - I really hate it when they do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment